I never much liked burgers growing up but lately I am totally into them. Maybe I didn’t like them because the burgers I had access to were served by the school cafeteria. They were always overly salty & had weird nuggets in them that I would find in my teeth. Bleh!!
Lately, I’ve been making burgers that have a bit of a twist & use much better ingredients.
This recipe has a few pieces to it BUT it’s simple.
You should also know that these burgers are great lettuce-wrapped too! It’s my favorite way to eat them.
1 teaspoon prepared Horseradish
1/4 cup green onions, green part only sliced thin
1 Lemon, juiced
2 Tablespoons Mayonaise
Salt & Pepper to taste
1-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 large White or Red onion, sliced
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lb Sirloin or Petite Sirloin
Pickles or Fresh Picked Cucumbers
8 oz Cheddar Cheese (Optional)
2 cups Watercress, leaves & tender sprigs only
- Preheat the broiler or grill.
- With a hand blender or food processor mix all the horseradish sauce ingredients together.
- In a medium skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion & season with salt. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened, about 10 minutes. Add about 1/2 cup water. Cook stirring occasionally until the water is evaporated. We are working on caramelizing the onions so if they are dry & not caramelized yet, add another tablespoon of oil and keep cooking on low to medium-low heat.
- To cook the steak, season with the granulated garlic, salt & pepper. Depending on the thickness of the steak and how done you like it, cook it on each side for about 5-7 minutes. We tend to like it medium so we usually cook it for about 7 minutes on one side & 5 on the other. But again it depends on the thickness of your steak.
- If you want fresh pickled cucumbers, just slice them up and pop them in apple cider vinegar for 30 minutes to an hour. If not, you can use fresh cucumbers or pickles
- To serve just put out the steak, cheese, sauce, watercress, tomatoes, cucumbers, buns & let everyone eat as they like!