This recipe is PERFECT to make in the middle of August when we have tons of basil & tomatoes coming out of the garden.
If you don’t have a garden full of tomatoes, no worries… Just buy the freshest & best tomatoes you can get your hands on.
The other thing I LOVE about this recipe is it’s totally clean, totally satisfying & totally easy to make.
So let’s get to it!
3 pounds Tomatoes (Roma or Plum are best but use what you have)
8 cloves Garlic, peeled
1/2 cup packed fresh Basil Leaves
2 sprigs Thyme, leaves removed
2 sprigs Oregano, leaves removed
For the caramelized Shallots (don’t miss out on these — they are so good):
1/2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
3 Shallots, sliced thin
Sour Cream or Créme Fraîche
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper & place halved tomatoes & garlic on the baking sheet
- Roast the tomatoes until they are charred, about 40-50 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, caramelize the shallots in olive oil. Once they are done, you can put them to the side.
- Once the tomatoes are done roasting, let them cool for about 10 minutes & then add them to a food processor or blender. I used a Vitamix to make the soup super creamy & smooth.
- Once the tomatoes are blended add the basil & onions in & blend one more time.
- Serve alone or with the optional toppings.