I actually think this is better than regular mac & cheese. I know my kids might not agree but they still enjoy it!
Oh & it’s an awesome way to get some extra veggies in your food!
2 cups elbow macaroni (I use gluten-free)
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Flour (I use Gluten-Free Cup4Cup Flour)
1 Cup Whipping Cream
1 Cup Whole Milk
4 ounces shredded Mozzarella or Fontina Cheese
15 ounces frozen Butternut Squash
3 Leaves Fresh Sage, sliced thin
1/2 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs (I use Gluten-Free)
1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Cook Pasta in a large pot following package directions & drain.
- In a medium sauce pan melt the butter, add the butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Add cream & milk OR you can use two cups of Half & Half. Cook until it’s slightly thickened
- Add in the cheese, butternut squash & sage. Cook until the butternut squash is falling apart. If you still have chunks, use an immersion blender to smooth out the sauce.
- Add the pasta to the sauce to combine & transfer to an ungreased baking dish.
- In a bowl combine bread crumbs & parmesan. Sprinkle over the mac & cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the crust is golden the mac & cheese is bubbly.
- Let stand for about 10-15 minutes before serving.