It’s funny because I remember Sloppy Joe’s from my childhood but we never really ate them at my house.
As I got older, I never made them because they were just so well…. sloppy!
But then, I realized my kids really hadn’t experienced them so I decided to give them a try. And of course I had to put a clean spin on them.
They were a hit in my house! I hope they are in yours too!
1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
1 pound Ground Organic Turkey
1 small Onion, diced
1 Red Bell Pepper, diced (I used a roasted one)
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Chili Powder
Salt and Pepper
1 15 ounce can Tomato Sauce
1/4 cup Water
1 Pitted Date
1 tablespoon Coconut Aminos
1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
6 Sweet Potatoes, baked until tender and split open
- Heat the oven to 400º F & pop the sweet potatoes in the oven. They should take about 30-40 minutes.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet. Sauté the turkey, bell pepper & garlic until browned.
- While the turkey is browning, mix the rest of the ingredients in the immersion blender (except the sweet potatoes).
- Once the turkey is browned add the sauce & stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes until bubbly & thick.
- Top your sweet potatoes with your Sloppy Joes & Enjoy!