I love star anise. For many reasons…
- It’s absolutely gorgeous
- It smells & tastes amazing
- It makes your food taste like you’ve been cooking for hours even though you haven’t
- It makes you feel like you’re eating something indulgent even when you are not.
- It instantly makes your dish into a delicious asian sensation.
I’m not sure why I don’t use it more often. Maybe I just will!
2 to 3 tablespoons avocado oil
1 lb ground turkey
3 large cloves garlic, diced
1 whole star anise
1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or aleppo pepper
1 tablespoon coconut nectar
salt to taste
1 bag of coleslaw mix (or you can use 1/2 to 2/3 lb savoy cabbage shredded & 1.5 cups julienned carrots )
1 green onion, thinly sliced
Toasted Sesame Oil
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat & add the avocado oil. Once heated through, add the ground turkey with a pinch or two of salt. Sauté until cooked through & starting to brown.
- Add in the garlic, star anise, ginger & pepper flakes. Cook for another minute or two. Just until fragrant.
- Add the coleslaw mix or carrots & cabbage, sauté about two minutes more until wilted.
- Add in your coconut nectar & garnish with your green onion & sesame oil